Testing different candidates to find the best one is the most essential step of a recruitment process. A wrong fit can waste the entire efforts of recruitment. A mindset of an interviewer goes through diverse questions for hiring the right candidate:
- Do I really know the people I am hiring?
- Do I really understand how these people think?
- Do I really trust my judgement of how they will fit with the team?
- Do I really believe they can make good decisions in practice once the interview is over?
With all the uncertainty, they have to test the candidate and find the potentiality of the candidate for the required role. Here are few questions that help interviewers in providing deeper understanding of the candidates:
1. Tell Your Story Question
This questions design the pattern of your future questions. A basic question like this give a fundamental overview of the candidates. Therefore, a good way of putting the Tell Your Story Question can be:
- What made you become an Engineer
- Which part of your job you love the most
- What has been your most challenging part of your job
- Tell us about the best rewards of your jobs
With a little change in putting, the old question in a new way gives candidate a chance to share their authentic details. Through these questions, they tend to share their passion than sharing a pre-practiced answer.
2. The Decision Making Question
This question gives an overview on the capability of the candidate to make decisions in real. Decision-making is among the most required skill to become a leader. In case if, you want the role to grow as a leadership role then it is important to seek decision-making capabilities in a candidate. We can judge a candidate decision-making capability by asking:
- Tell us what made you decide that your current organization is a good choice for you
- What you do for taking a decision
- What would you like to change about yourself
Such questions define the decision-making and the confidence of a candidate to take significant steps in their professional atmosphere.
3. The Mindset Question
This question is crucial to understand the perception of the candidate towards the world. It highlights whether they are positive, self-believer, confident and adaptable. The mindset understanding questions can be
- How would you feel leaving your current organization as you have been working there for quite some time now
- How were your first 60 days in your current organization
- What you felt the next day after joining your current organization
- How will you break the news of leaving the job in your current organization
- What do you think will be your colleagues and seniors reaction when they will know you are resigning
Such questions define the depth of a candidate mindset and about their level attachment with their job and people around them. This help in going inside a candidate mindset and the capability to take up further challenges.
4. The Empathy Question
To judge the team player capabilities of a candidate we use the empathy questions. Rather than asking direct negative questions, we use the empathy questions. The structure of questions can be as below:
- What do you think your colleagues would have reacted on knowing about your last promotion
- Do you think they were more jealous than being happy about you
- How have you evolved your relationship with your colleagues
No candidate is ever prepared for these types of questions; whatever they say during the interview is the truth and bring up the self-awareness attribute of a candidate.
With so much knowledge on interview behavior the candidates are well prepared to even face the toughest questions. As an interviewer it is our responsibility to search the best candidate. These off track questions not only judge a candidate on their professional skills but also on professional behaviorism. So next time whenever you are preparing to take an interview do try to use these questions and test a candidate.
About GlobalHunt India
GlobalHunt India is a 2 decade old and among the top 10 placement consultancy firms in India. With over 7.5 million active and passive database, we have been able to place more than 10,000 candidates in different industries and roles.
For more information, visit us on www.globalhunt.in