There has been a lot of discussion going on regarding the recruitment processes, employment agendas and many other aspects of hiring in recent times. Many recruitment agencies and firms are providing important suggesting about handling the selection process but there has been very little discussion regarding the initiatives to be taken after recruitment. One of the important aspects of employment is presentation at the office. The presentation is not only about how an employee looks, it is also about how your workspace looks, both physically and technically. So there are certain pointers which can help in maintaining a healthy workspace for better productivity.
- First it is important to get the layout right in the first place. Be very specific about where to position your monitor, keyboard and other work related items. Keep the writing pads and pens at an accessible position so that you can find them at the time of need, such as at the time of a telephonic conversation or a video conferencing. Fidgeting for a pen or marker during such situations is not very attractive.
- Keep a close eye on the office supplies. Get fresh stock whenever you are running low on certain materials. Do not wait for the entire stock to get over before refilling. This might hinder you workflow after some time. You might not realize it immediately, but it happens over time.
- One major mistake people do in case of post it notes it that they literally decorate the monitor or cubicle wall with these. They should only be used for short term reminders and should be removed when the purpose is resolved.
- Often people have a habit of putting personal stuff for decorative purpose on office desk. It is essential to remember that a few of pictures and souvenirs are ok in this case. But too many of it actually spoils the work mood. It often gets you distracted from your work even without your knowledge. So it is important to keep this factor in check.
- There are certain precautions to be taken in terms of technical work space as well. Distraction can occur in many ways. One such way is too much desktop notifications. If you tend to get too many notifications from social media and personal email due to desktop alerts, it is better to turn it off at the earliest.
- Clean work space does not refer to the table top only; it also includes desktop clearing as well. Often, it is seen that some people have the tendency to keep very file haphazardly on desktop which they cannot interpret or find at the right moment. Hence it is advised to make meaningful folders and keep projects and daily tasks organized accordingly. A schedule or tracker can also be kept for managing the tasks
Lastly, prioritizing the work flow is essential. There are certain tasks which are repetitive such as time sheet fill up which should be done at certain time. Keeping a reminder of that is helpful. This organization helps in completing each task on time and with efficiency.