The recent dynamic developments in recruitment process have brought in many elements of selection which have progressed the system from traditional aspects to modern and innovative process. While there is a lot going on in the industry and new trends are making in to the global arena very frequently, it has become necessary to discuss the recruitment process from a detailed point of view. The process itself is differentiated in to two distinct categories namely, internal and external recruitment. These broader segments are facilitated by different types of sources for talent recognition which are as follows.
Internal recruitment as the name suggests, is the hiring process that occurs within the organization. It is considered as the productivity increasing initiative in certain cases. This process is channelized through three major initiatives, transfers, promotions and re-employment of ex-employees. Transfers are facilitated by bringing in resources from different locations at the target site. Promoting an existing employee through internal job postings is also another effective method. In some cases ex-employees are also called in for filling up positions. There can be scenarios where ex-employees provide unsolicited applications as well.
External recruitment is the hiring process undertaken outside the organization. It involves a structured planning, time and effort. There are various sources that facilitate external recruitment.
- Employment at factory gate is the sourcing where the job postings are highlighted at bulletin boards at factory or at the gates. The applications received through this source are usually unsolicited. This approach is mainly used for recruitment at the ground staff level.
- Advertisement is one of the most common sources of talent sourcing right from the beginning of time. One of the primary advantages of this type of sourcing is that it covers a larger area for getting the word out in the market. Mediums used in this approach are television and newspapers.
- Employment exchanges are another effective sourcing method in this case. These are mostly run by government and channelize people through these exchanges. Currently, government related positions are filled in through employment exchanges.
- Among the recent popular choices of sourcing, is the employment agency. These are private organizations that either provide manpower or conduct the hiring process for a client company. The level of involvement in the recruitment process is predetermined through an agreement.
- Now days, companies are hiring talents fresh out of educational institutions through on-campus interviewing and selection. This is considered an effective way to locate fresher within a particular field of expertise. Often in certain cases companies face budget constraints which does not provide the scope of recruiting experienced professionals. In those cases, a fresher can be recruited and then trained on the job.
- Recommendations and referrals are one of the most effective ways of talent pooling within a limited time frame. People in a particular area of expertise sometimes recommend a professional along similar lines. But in this case, one needs to rely on the referring employee only for the initial expertise evaluation.
Contractual sourcing is that type of recruitment wherein temporary employees are taken in for a particular project or fixed time frame.